Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sweeping Fire

Do you remember the first look? The the first glance that when you look at each other and feel like a sweeping fire. I do.

I was dragged out by my friends one night, I liked this boy, but he did not like me. The boy I liked, introduced me to his friend, Leo (not his real name).  I remember Leo sitting there with a beer in his hand and relaxed.  I looked around, he looked up, smiles and offers me a seat next to him.

Being new to the group, I was feeling awkward, they were talking about some party and the places they were going to, when they finish their last year of high school exams ever.  I felt sad, so Leo asked me why I was so glum.  I proceeded to tell him.

“When school is finally over, no-one is going to be around to celebrate my 18th birthday”,
he gasps, “oh, what! When is it?”
“The 4th of December”, I replied meekly.
“Well, I will be here, I will come, just call me”, as he points to himself, of course I smile back and
walked away, with out his number.

As the months went by, 5 months actually; my birthday arrived, my friends were there, I felt depressed. I asked a friend to call his friends to see if they want to come out and have a few drinks... Cos I am now legal to go to a bar, even though it never really stopped me before. My friend passed me his phone...

“hello?”..
“Hi! Happy Birthday!” Goes the cheer.
“Huh, Oh My God! Hi! You said that you will come to my birthday, it is my birthday, come! You promised”. I had no idea who he was, but I remembered the conversation that we had.  I forgot what he looked liked, that's what I mean.

He came.

There he was, with his friends and including the boy I use to like.  I knew it, I just lit up and was pulled towards him.  I feel my eyes go brighter, I smile larger.  His eyes were like electric and his smile was radiant. It felt like, it was, two worlds pushing and pulling together like a dance. And my heart? Like sweeping fire.

2 comments: