Saturday, February 26, 2011

Growing up.

Part of growing up is, being left at home. I can’t remember what age I was at first, and I can’t call my mother as she on the other side of the world.  But I do remember this memory.  I was left at home and we had a set of rules of what to do and what not to do.

1. Don’t answer the door, unless you know who it is (this confused me too).
2. Don’t break anything (Conan the Destroyer here).
3. Clean your room (hahahaa).
4. No fighting with your brother (He started it first!)
5. No watching television. (yeah right; I never knew why she said this one?)
6. If the phone rings say I am in the bathroom/toilet (strange?)

So my mother left as she had something important to do, like grocery shopping or something of that agenda.  So here is Mr Saturn (brother) and I, doing what we do best, sitting down watching tv, fighting over the control of the remote.

RRRinng, RRRinng, RRRinng, goes the phone.

Me: “Hello”
Caller: “Hi, is your mum there?”
Me: “Umm.. she is in the toilet, can she call  you back?”
Caller: “Yeah, sure”
I hang up...Click...

Phone rings
Me: “Hello”
Caller: “Hi, it’s me again, you hung up before I said my name”
Me:: “oh”... Silence
Caller:”it’s your Cousin Jane, is she out; can I talk to her?”
Me: “no she still in there, she will call you back, bye”
Click

Phone Rings again
Me:”hello”
Cousin: “hi its me again, so is she out?”
Me: “she just went in”
Cousin: “Oh”
Me: “she will call you back, bye”.... Click.

Phone Rings again!
Me: “Hello.........”
Cousin: “can I talk to your mum”
Me: “she’s in the toilet!”
Cousin:”gosh every time I call her, she is in the toilet, ha-ha-ha”
Me: “Yeah, she is in the loo, bye”...Click

Mum arrives, and tells us off for leaving the house a mess. Whats new with that speech? So she asked if anyone called.  I said “yes, Cousin Jane, she called like 6 times.  I said you were in the toilet, like you said”. I smiled, cos I did good, right. WRONG! Mother yelled at me and said “couldn’t you tell her the truth that I was out!  She is family!” But then the phone rang...

Mother: “hello, (pause) yes, yes, yes, Cousin Jane, I have a really sore tummy, I ate something bad. ha ha ha ha.......”

So the conversation ended, and it was not that important after all. But whats the moral of the story? Thank god for Mobile/Cell phones! And because you never might know, when your kid is going to listen to you or what they will listen too.  But in my case, your mother never trusts you again and now you are forced to do errands with her because I listened to her, too well.

No comments:

Post a Comment