Sunday, March 13, 2011

Nun lessons

Oh Gosh! There is a Robin outside my window!  I had a teacher in Primary School that had a pet Robin growing up. Huh? You can have pet Robin, strange?  But none-the-less, she did.  She lived in Ireland as a child and then became a Nun.  She was a strange, yet lovely lady who had a very strong personality.


She loved me this Nun, I was all over  the place and lived in a magical world (in my head) and she knew I was super shy but kind of crazy.  So, she took me under her wing to coach me to be strong, she knew that I would not be able to do this by myself.  So when I got in trouble for being not speaking out, she would point this out to me and showed me how to be strong.

I remember this one incident, I could not spell embarrass; just sat there at my desk.  Too scared to move, the end of the lesson was nearing and was forced to come up. I approached her desk, stumbling to say the words.

“Yes” she looked at me
“C-c-can you help me p-p-please?”, as I handed over my red spelling book.
“Whats the word, and how does it sound like?”
“Innn-baareess? It starts with an I?”
“EEEM-barraaasss!” she slithers out.
“Huh”, so confused? “Well Sunny, you just can’t stand there all lesson, if need something you have to ask straight away otherwise you will get no where! You need to stand up.” Then she proceeded to spell the word for me, and I completed my work quietly.

The next day, she put me in Choir and Cross Country. I had to perform and compete in front of everyone.  Now some people will say this is cruel.  But it was not, it was for my own benefit. And because of her, I would have never learnt to stand up for myself and lead a life I want to lead. She is my favourite teacher, even if she scares me to this day.

This was her favourite song.
Rocking Robin. Yeah I know the words to this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment