Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lesson One I think.


When I was young I grew up in a neighbourhood full of boys.  I don’t remember much as I was very young except for one memory: A boy.

He was taller and older than me and he had a bike, a two wheeled bike.  All the girls liked him, and I was no exception.  I followed him around the neighbourhood.  So one day I wondered away from my house and decided to look for him, I knew where he would be so I went to his friends house barely 7 or 8 years old. I walked towards the front yard and I saw his bike.  It was beautiful, I think it was red. He looked at me with his schoolboy thick haircut he smiled.  I think he was 12.  Everyone was there, I did not care, I hung out. Next to his bike and friends and laughing the summer away.

Some how we all decided to go for a ride and  I hopped on the front of his bike, and we sped around the neighbourhood, I was flying, with my hair blowing in the sun kissed air and he was laughing with poetic justice. I think I was in love.  We continued to do this during the summer time and the beginning of school, I would see him around and we would go for a spin on his bike or we would walk together side by side, he was so lovely and polite.  A gentleman in the making.
                                                                 . . .
One day I was going to the shop and I cut through the alley way, and I saw him standing there with a girl, who was the same age as him. They both looked at me and they were shocked or scared or nervous. I froze. I was a child so I can’t grasped these kind of emotions, I think they walked away, I still had to go to the shop.  But I felt sad for some strange reason.  I bought the milk for mum.

We did see each other from time to time, and stare at each other, yet we would continue on walking.  Even at that age I knew the rules of the game of love or at least that was lesson ONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment