Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It's not my fault I can't Bake!

I have mention that I can’t bake, well it is hereditary.  Yes, this is a piece from my childhood.  

When I was young and my Grandmother came over to stay with us (she lived overseas).  I was extremely excited that she was staying with me for a few months (forever in my head).  Then, one day she decided to cook or should I say bake us a custard thing with caramel. Yummy, Sugar!

As all good grand-daughters I watched her grab the ingredients, whisking away and showing her where all of the stuff was.  I got bored watching her so I tuned out all I remember that it was a sunny day and watching for my mothers car coming up the drive way.  “Huh? You have to cook dinner?” I think my grandmother kicked me out of the kitchen, thank god I was bored.

So dinner arrived, it kinda sucked, but that is alright I was use to have not having a great dinner (mum was a useless cook, still is).  Oh... the smell that was coming out the oven; sweet and caramel aromas, it is what you need on a cold night.  I remember the loaf tin coming out, and this giant yellow puff: We all paused.  My mother, Mr Saturn (brother) and me, stared at my grandmother and the puff, poor woman was shaking her head.

It was a giant loaf Omelette with Caramel! All I could do is look down and maybe they won’t see me! But I can’t, our kitchen was small I had no - where to run.  We can’t hurt my Grandmothers feelings, so we had to eat this sickly sweet thing with hot liquid sugar poured on top.  My mother was laughing; my grandmother was cursing and blaming something for something. To make matters worse the omelette was stuck inside the tin so we had to scrape out that thing and smile whilst we were eating it.

So you there you go, she can’t bake and neither can I!  So what was that dessert meant to be.
Crème Brûlée.

No comments:

Post a Comment