Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Road Maps and I Can't Read'em

I can’t read road maps, yes, it’s true. All my life I could not read one.  I went to great schools but it was something that I could not pick up.  And my mother did not find this out till I was 25 years old.

Here is a quick story of how my mother found out I could not read a map.  We were in the car and we had to go somewhere out of our comfort zone area.  So she went as far as she could, till she needed a map to guide her.  Since she was driving, I had to read the map for her.  The map for  Sydney is a giant text book with hundreds of maps inside of it.  I did my best to guide her..Er.. Left, Right...Um... wait I have to flick to page 230... Now turn left here.  We ended up at a school with a no through road sign.  We were meant to be at a shopping Mall.

My mother of course, flipped out and started screaming because we were running late and blah, blah, blah.  And then once she cooled down she asked me where we were on the map and where is the direction I was trying to lead. She started to go crazy on me! Because what I was pointing to was highways and railway lines, not roads. She turned around me and said, “can you read maps”, okay maybe that was more of a shout.  I did not have to say anything it was written on my face.  

As you can imagine my mother was giving me a quick lesson on “how to read a Map!” With in a space of 2 minutes, all whilst; muttering to herself about how I the school systems have let us down.  But seriously it’s not their fault, it’s something I can’t do. So there you go. At 25 I could not read a map, now at 29 I can, just barely. Well, at least I know how to tell what is a road and whats not a road.

Yeah, I am on a road; not a track.

No comments:

Post a Comment