Monday, June 27, 2011

Grandfathers Gift

When I was 6-7 I stayed with my grandmother during summer months and spring months (this is my my birthday and Christmas time). My grandfather had cancer. A man in my memory; is dieing. I understood that when I was a child. The happiest memory I  have of him was me standing on his hospital bed showing off my new white laced dress with frilly socks and white baby jane shoes. I remember telling him “do like my dress?” He smiled. He smiled alot in the early days.

In the hospital my grandfather said, he wanted to buy a toy for me. I was happy about that. He then presented a soft toy, a Care Bear called Sunshine. It was bright yellow and beautiful and the latest must have toy, for all girls of my age. I was so pleased. He told me that this toy reminded him of me. I guess I was his sunshine? I hugged Sunshine on his hospital bed in my white laced tulle dress. But I knew it was impossible for him to get out of the bed to buy it. But his sister, my Grand Aunt, said that she bought it for him but he told her exactly what to buy. This is really all his idea.  I have no idea why she said that. Maybe I said something, I usually do. So goodbye I said, with my new best friend Sunshine. My first present and only real present he gave me, face to face.

I visited the place often and complained about the bad smell and why was he always tired. Then one day I saw him staggering in the hallway, one arm on the nurse and the other with a walking stick. He saw me; ashamed and defeated.  That’s when I realised he was not going to make it and the visits stopped pretty much after that. His smile now a frown and the to beyond.
                                                 ..........................................................
So it was time to pack up. I took my Sunshine on the airplane with me and buckled her in and said to my Mother she is my favourite toy and we’re going on adventures, thats why she is next to the window and we did. I currently don’t have her anymore as she is with my mother, but I have her and him inside my heart.

And thats why I nicknamed myself Sunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment