Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Abbey

Meeting the potential in-laws is nerve wreaking, I hate it.  But I seem to do alright but not always.  There is so much expectations from them, your partner and your self.  But what happens when nothing seems to measure up. SCREWED! That’s what.  I have not had very many experiences of this but the first time I was introduced was strange.

My boyfriend at the time was from another country and I decided to go over and well say hello.  I meet his Mother, and she is lovely and from Ireland.  Now I will have to admit that I can’t understand her as she has a very thick accent and there is nothing I can do about accept for to nod and smile mantra.  But she invited me to come over and we can go for a walk in the countryside and she was going to show me the Old Abbey ruins.  I was thrilled.

Next day arrived and we are being polite towards each other and after the long walk she showed me the Abbey, it was old and ruined, and as I entered it was a graveyard.  Huh? She showed me all the people that was in her family, her husbands family and told me how old this place was.  This was her territory.  Was this a hint? I smiled and nodded like a good polite girl.  We walked back home on that sunny day and even explained to what flowers was what.

So that was my experience on meeting my boyfriends mother from the other side of the world. A sweet old religious lady who showed me the a graveyard masked as a beautiful ruined Abbey in the countryside.  I think I got the message, I  will be good.

Also I would like to add this was my first experience of seeing the beautiful Irish Countryside too.

No comments:

Post a Comment