Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Friend for Life

I think Stephanie would tell people that we met through a mutual friend, Helen (not her real name) yes, this is true. I guess she would say I met her at her house, yes this is true.  But I met her before that.  I met her at school.  In fact it was my first year high school.  
                                                                         ...
I was sitting in the courtyard with my friend Helen and we were eating sandwiches, I was mocking Helen for having tomato sauce in her sandwich she gave me a taste and I kind of liked it. Then comes this girl with her friends, she said “hello”, to Helen and asked her “what she was doing here?” I thought, we are having lunch.  She was a bit mean to her and I thought she was a bit strange.  Helen assured me that she is a very old friend and that was her way and she is nice too.  Okay... I thought?

And as the days went by, (I am 12 so days are like years) Helen asked me to come up with her to meet her friend.  I had to ask my mothers permission to travel on a bus during a Saturday and I was allowed. This was rare, Mother is very strict. I guess it was meant to be.  So off I went with Helen. We arrive at the apartment, she opens the door, with her white robe on.  I wonder if she realises that it is the middle of the day?  God dammit, it’s that girl I met only a week or so a go.  She introduces herself "Stephanie", and shows me around and made me the best dam sandwich. Lettuce, tomato, chicken, avocado and mayo.  Afterwards we all hung out on the beach near her house.  She was different; she was nice and really funny.

So as the years rolled by, I changed schools and so did she.  We would meet up at  a shopping mall and have donuts after school. She would laugh at me and I would laugh at her.  We were becoming good friends, I understood her and she understood me.  But I always thought she would be Helen’s friend.  Not mine.  But then things changed.  She finished high school.

It was my last year of high school and life took a dramatic turn for me, I was wandering outside my school, feeling lost. And she was just standing outside a cafe, wearing a white fluffy turtle neck jumper and jeans.  Stephanie greeted me with a huge smile and a hug.  We ate sandwiches and hung out.  Right there, thats when I knew it.  She was my friend, a friend for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment