Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hot and Cold

The other day I was watching a boy and a girl playing. It was so sweet, they were talking and playing ‘hot and cold’.  I think I still play this game.  I have no idea what if you know this, but I will give a quick run down. You hide an object and the other person has to find it, and the only response or clue you can give them, is hot for being close or cold for not.  This game is loads of fun, and I spent hours playing it when I was young.

Now, I can see the irony of this game because this game is taught from one child to another over the ages and play it till the day we die.  I mean, I play this when I go out in the real world hot for getting close to me, cold for saying something stupid and I leave.  And so does he.

This game can be frustrating too, because we only get to listen to the words ‘hot’ and ‘cold’, but if you watch closely you know who are the real game players. The ones who really want to play with you.  How do you know? The one who is searching for the object not only hears the words but listens to your excitement, your face when it lights up because your so dam close to the object, then you have your body language trying to hide everything. Yes he is watching you, intently and intensely.  He found it, under the covers behind that thing next to it. Crazy hiding place huh?

Here's the real ending, he picks up the object and hands it to the girl who can’t keep quiet in every conceivable way and looks at her smiles and says, “it’s your turn”. And she returns the favour. They play this game for hours, giving each other hints some more obvious than others and sometimes even years together. Because that's the real prize, each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment