Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Defending Your Family

I’m going to tell you about a story that I had to be part of.  It’s starts of with my mother who was dating a man, who well as lovely as he was; is a control freak.


So, mother, her boyfriend and I were sitting down and having dinner; we were discussing about her moving in with him.  Now this guy is fairly cautious and as my mother removed the our eaten dishes from the table, the discussion of her stuff came up.  Yes, as women we can accumulate a lot stuff, he was a Spartan, and he came up with this line.


“You can move in but you can’t decorate or anything like that, you have to leave my place as it is” I looked at him and gave him the REALLY look, mother smiled nervously. To me this was a red flag, but I’m not my mother.  So I struck up with a proposal with him. “Well... she can I have one thing, I mean, she can have a say in one decor, of her choosing.” He agreed with only one condition, he approves it first. More red flags.


This is when my mother gets nervous, she knows whats is going to come out of my mouth.  I clear my throat and smile politely and engage in my innocent voice.  “Well all she needs is one small thing, something that’s as big as my small hand”, I bring out my hand, he looks at me with pleased eyes; I continue. “You know why? Because all you need is one small thing to change a whole room, like a pot plant with colour, in your grey and black home. And POW! The focus is on that piece”. Silence fell in the room. He smiled. He left a short while later.


I felt bad for my mother, having to deal with a child like me.  But she knows that if someone crosses a line; better watch out; KAPOW! Here I am with flowers in my hair.  I’m not saying that I don’t like him, in fact we had a lot in common, I really did like him, he was cool.  It’s just I had to speak up for someone who couldn’t do it for herself. Isn’t that what you should do? defending your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment