Monday, August 15, 2011

Convention

My mother was a  DJ and was good at her job. But she left that career choice for a life that was more “suitable”. She had children you know, and a single parent.  To me I thought this was a wrong choice, even though I was very young at the time, but I knew that this was my mother. Her true self.

She has taught me how to speak on a microphone, listening to the beats and rhythm of a song and compose myself in public, whether I liked it or not.  As the years grew and she did a 9-5 dead end job she grew more and more unhappy. Unfortunately this affected us as children, I guess having family members passing away didn’t help matters. But you would think this would have given her a wake up call to do the things you love: Life is short.  Yet it didn’t.

I feel for her. Because I know that most of her misery is due the fact she made life choices that was deemed as conventional, and when you are a unconventional person, living the conventional life; life is hard to maintain. People around you suffer, like us kids did.  We never got to know our mother as a happy one, well she was only around for a short time. I only know her in my mind as “miserable”.

So now I am making life choices, I have to decide whether I follow my dreams - unconventional  choices or do what is conventional by society standards. I think I am going to learn from my mother mistakes. Take the route thats tough and scary. I may get a few fingers wagging at my face, though.

Life is short, you know?

1 comment:

  1. How sad that you only know your mother as "miserable" but ironically it seems that's what gave you strength to take the "tough and scary" route. Let the fingers wag.

    ReplyDelete